Wednesday, February 10, 2021

How to Engage Students with Whole Brain Teaching

 

How to Engage Students with Whole Brain Teaching

            Searching for a way to engage and keep your students engaged in your lessons?  How about Whole Brain Teaching?  Whole Brain Teaching was first introduced as a method to keep students engaged in the classroom in 1999 by Chris Biffle, to excite students about their learning and make learning "brainbased, fun and free"(Lindstrom, 2010).  To watch a teacher in a classroom, seem to “play a game” with students, while they are learning, is absolutely jaw-dropping to see.  The method is fast-paced and highly effective.  "The core of our method is to get kids to teach each other," said Chris Biffle, founder of the Whole Brain movement. "When they're teaching each other they're seeing, saying, hearing, doing and feeling whatever the lesson has to be, and that's the whole brain."(Lindstrom, 2010)  In the link below, 1st grade students are learning with whole brain teaching for the first time. 

Lindstrom, N. (2010). WHOLE BRAIN TEACHING COMMANDS STUDENTS’ ATTENTION: Funny gestures, chants spice up daily lessons. In Daily Press (Victorville, CA). Daily Press (Victorville, CA). https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=n5h&AN=2W63400156084&site=ehost-live

Whole Brain Teaching: Starting WBT With 1st Graders - YouTube

3 comments:

  1. Hey Denise I enjoyed reading your blog. Whole Brain Teaching is something I've been interested in quite a bit. I've always liked the idea of getting your students to teach each other. I think that is good because it just builds chemistry between your students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whole brain teaching is wonderful! I just think for me it will be challenging to getting use to doing it. Almost a learning experience for me haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Denise. I am planning on using whole brain teaching in my future classroom. I think this is a great way to get students involved in the lesson!

    ReplyDelete

Inside the Rabbit Hole

      From time to time when I'm scouring the internet (I'm supposed to be researching for my studies), I will inevitably fall into ...

Engage Students Using Whole Brain Teaching